Saturday, February 19, 2022

The Book of Ten Sayings 10

 Concluding the wisdom in the Book of Ten Sayings is a truth that many people know from experience, yet who never mention it in company. The Tenth Saying is to be repeated every morning and every night, as part of your prayers to God to search your soul and tear out all the Pride, for ,

Pride is my self-made supreme enemy

If you, like many of us, want to stay away from sin and evil, then we need to eschew effectively the sin of Pride. In  the old days, a list of sins was made, with Pride as the first sin listed, along with six others, These sins, named The Seven Deadly Sins, were considered especially bad because they could be used to tempt others to sin.

The Seven Deadly Sins are

Pride
Anger
Lust
Greed
Gluttony
Envy
Sloth

Notice how Pride can be the stimulus for each of the other Deadly Sins:

Pride to Anger: "Hey, Anger, that guy called you a chicken for not helping him beat up that guy who took your coffee mug. I mean, who does he think he is?"

Pride to Greed: "Hey, Greedo. I hear Sloth is about to quit. Let's go talk to the boss and see of we can divide Sloth's salary  between us. I figure 70% for me and 30% for you is just right and fair."

Pride to Envy: "Hey there, Envy. It must really be a downer to know that Lust is dating Greed. I mean, my room is all the way down the hall, but I can still feel the floor shaking when those two are enjoying a late night snack."

Pride to Gluttony: "Howdy, there, Glut-man.  Did  Sloth invite you to his party? No? I can't imagine why not. He told me he was ordering 17 Extra Large fully laden pizzas with triple stuff, for only 6 people. Wow. Sloth must not think much of you."

Pride to Lust: "Hey, babe.  You look hot tonight. I wonder why Anger keeps telling everybody that you're just "makeup and mirrors," and that if you ever had a real thought, you wouldn't even  recognize it."

Pride to Sloth: "Hi there, Sloth-skee. I missed you at the party at Lust's room over the weekend. I mean, it was totally wild. I did ask where you were, and Envy said she  hoped you were sick. I said that such a comment was uncalled for, and then Greed said, "It takes time to visit the  whole town."

Here are just some of the words used to apply to Pride. Note that they are not complimentary:

vain, egotistical arrogant, haughty, self-important, boastful, smug, me, me, me, me.


No comments:

Post a Comment